Playboy Magazine Celebrates 60 Years Of Stunning Pictorials And Journalistic Excellence
Diamond Anniversary Celebration Begins with Release of the Magazine’sJanuary/February 2014 Double Issue Featuring Kate Moss, and Collaboration with Marc Jacobs
LOS ANGELES, Dec. 2, 2013 Playboy magazine officially kicked off its year-long 60thanniversary celebration today with the release of the magazine’s highly anticipated January/February 2014double issue, featuring Kate Moss in an unprecedented 18-page pictorial and cover appearance photographed by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott.
Playboy‘s 60th anniversary edition is available digitally on iPlayboy.com beginning today, and on newsstands across the country starting Friday, December 6. Exclusive outtakes and video from the shoot will also be available on www.playboy.com/katemoss as of Friday, December 6.
“Sixty years ago, I created Playboy magazine with an intent to reflect on and influence the cultural changes taking place in America, as well as to become the voice of sophisticated men all over the world,” said Founder and Editor-in-Chief Hugh M. Hefner. “From its beginning, Playboy has stood for freedom of speech, freedom of choice and freedom of the press. I am so proud to celebrate this anniversary as the magazine continues its mission to promote these core values many decades later.”
“Playboy‘s anniversary edition is a testament to 60 years of beautiful women, discerning taste, sexual emancipation, groundbreaking fiction and world-changing journalism,” said Editorial Director Jimmy Jellinek. “Having Kate Moss, a global icon and the most important supermodel of the past 25 years, appear on our cover makes this issue the perfect way to launch Playboy‘s next 60 years.”
To help mark the occasion, Marc Jacobs has produced a numbered, limited edition of the 60th anniversary issue featuring an exclusive photo of Kate Moss by Mert & Marcus (available in Bookmarc and selectMarc Jacobs stores). Additionally, Marc Jacobs has collaborated with the magazine to create a t-shirt featuring the exclusive cover image (available at select Marc Jacobs stores and online at marcjacobs.com). Proceeds from the sale of all commemorative items will go to benefit amfAR. Kate Moss will be stopping by Marc Jacobs’ Bookmarc (24-25 Mount Street, London) today to sign product. In celebration of Playboy‘s anniversary issue, a private party hosted by Marc Jacobs and Kate Moss will take place this evening at Playboy Club London.
In addition to its much-buzzed about Kate Moss pictorial, Playboy‘s 60th anniversary issue delivers the outstanding journalism and award-winning content the magazine is known for, with a unique mix of essays, articles, fiction and interviews. Highlights from the milestone issue include:
- Essays from playwright David Mamet, tech pioneer Jaron Lanier , philosopher Slavoj Zizek , experimental fiction king Mark Leyner , novelist Rick Moody , Pulitzer-Prize winning journalistBuzz Bissinger, Buzzfeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith , acclaimed environmental expert Alex Hall, and legendary comedian Gilbert Gottfried
- Sex: A Very Oral Report: A panel of 12 feminists—including Erica Jong , Naomi Wolf , Jane Pratt , Aisha Tyler , Natasha Leggero , and Dr. Ruth—speak about the best and worst of sexual liberation in modern America
- The Dead Letter File: 60 years of archived correspondence to come over the transom, including letters from Bertrand Russell , Hunter S. Thompson , Ronald Reagan , Ian Fleming , Lenny Bruce , Truman Capote and William S. Burroughs
- Playboy, Magazine Ads and the Original Mad Man: George Lois examines 60 years of the most creative and downright peculiar ads to have run in the magazine
- The Playboy Interview with Ben Affleck ; 20Q with Patton Oswalt ; an exclusive comic from Joe Casey ; new fiction from B.J. Novak and Don Wislow ; and the magazine’s 60th anniversary Playmate
The Celebration Continues
Playboy will continue its 60th anniversary celebration with a series of international events, commemorative product, pop-up shops, and co-branded collaborations to be announced throughout 2014. Celebration highlights for 2013 include:
- A collaboration with top Japanese designers in partnership with Special Product Design on a line of men’s and women’s clothing and accessories that pay homage to Playboy’s brand heritage and magazine roots
- The reveal of artist Richard Phillips’ “Playboy Charger” at an exhibition concurrent to Art Basel Miami Beach, a project under the direction of Playboy’s Creative Director of Special Projects Neville Wakefield (December 3)
- Playboy and Ad Age‘s “Marketing to Men” forum, where the best and brightest in men’s marketing will convene in New York for an afternoon of keynote speakers, educational panels, and Q&A discussions (December 4)
- An invite-only 60th anniversary party at M1NT Shanghai, one of Asia’s most exclusive nightclubs, hosted by Cooper Hefner (December 13)
Playboy’s Chief Executive Officer Scott Flanders said: “Over the course of our 60-year history, Playboy has evolved into a global brand and lifestyle that now reaches tens of millions of men and women in just about every corner of the world. As we look ahead to the company’s next 60 years, the magazine continues to inspire us by bringing a new energy and enthusiasm to the iconic Playboy brand.”